New client computer, so I installed the latest MySql Workbench – version 6.3.6.  Turns out that the new version no longer works for me when exporting a remote database.  Here’s the error I’m seeing:


It works just fine when exporting local databases, though.  And here’s what’s going on:

  • I’m currently working on a remote shared hosting plan.
  • Shared plans mean that super-users are not for paid clients because there is a security risk.
  • MySql Workbench 6.3.6 started adding a ‘select * from mysql.users’ command during an export.
  • The ‘mysql.users’ table is in the super-user area that cannot be seen by shared hosting clients.

So, one solution is to move to a completely dedicated server, which I’ve considered over the past year for more reason than this.

But the solution I went with was a bit quicker to implement and seemed completely plausible.  Simply put, I downloaded an earlier version of MySql Workbench from the official site.

I knew that version 6.0.8 worked for me previously, so I went with that again.  It’s very possible that one of the versions between 6.0.8 and 6.3.6 works as well, but it was not a big deal for me to find out – at least not yet.